Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Upgrading to Ubuntu Feisty Fawn (7.04)

A couple of weeks ago, I attempted to upgrade to Ubuntu Feisty Fawn. I've been running Ubuntu as my distribution of choice for two or three years now, and I generally upgrade around the beta release to help shake out any bugs which directly affect me. Usually, it's a painless experiece, but this time was different. I was left with a system which didn't even boot, but instead gave a modprobe error and promptly gave me a spartan BusyBox prompt. After a bit of research, I discovered that it was a known kernel bug which was due to my jMicron flavor of SATA controller.

Fast foward a couple of weeks. The bug is fixed, I'm itching to use some of the bleeding edge software available in Feisty, and I decide to attempt the upgrade again. I'm happy to report that this time the upgrade went off without a hitch. For the most part, all of my fourth-party software is still intact and runs happily, and I'm enjoying the new effects provided by Compiz, and significantly faster boot times (for the four times a year that I need to reboot :P).

All-in-all, it's been a great experience, and I'm excited to use it for the next few months.

No comments: