Monday, March 17, 2008

I'm a Switcher

For several months, I've been wanting an Apple MacBook Pro. I've kept putting it off, first waiting on the release of Leopard, and then for the latest hardware revision. A couple of weeks ago, the Mac Book Pros were upgraded to use more recent Intel processors, as well as have bigger hard drives, and I soon found myself with a compelling need to have a laptop. So, on March 7, 2008 at approximately 8:37pm Central Standard Time, I became a Switcher.

So far, the experience has been mainly positive. Like others, I appreciate Apple's attention to detail, both in hardware and software. It's also been nice to have a handy Unix development environment for hacking code. I've already played around a bit with Photo Booth, and I'm looking forward to editing home video. It may take a while to get used to different key bindings for common commands, and other differences between OS X and Ubuntu, but I don't think the transition will be too painful.

Lest this be seen as simply another fanboy post, I still find plenty of things different and unexpected (where is universal 3rd button copy-and-paste?!?), but overall the experience has been a good one thus far.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can change the default system keybindings to better match your needs:

Apple's Keybindings Reference

Anonymous said...

I've switched to. To an HP.

Of course, part of that comes because I currently work for HP, and they gave me the laptop. I was a little disappointed that this business laptop didn't come with the built-in camera, and I wish the battery life was longer. But I really enjoy playing with the finger print scanner.

But now I'm finding myself in the position of having too many computers. When I travel, which laptop do I take, or do I take both?

I've also posted a list of my favorite apps which you should checkout if you are looking for your next favorite tool.

Anonymous said...

So, you finally switched over! I've had a Macbook Pro for a year and a half, and LOVE it! When I must use Windows I fire it up in Parallels and run everything I need. I bet you will get a lot of good use out of it at your internship.

By the way, I am EXTREMELY disappointed that you have not updated your hiking page in 10 months! That is UNACCEPTABLE! You need to rectify that this summer.