Monday, September 27, 2010

It Finally Happened

Since Jonathan could move, I wondered how long it would take us to have to get him stitched up or get a cast on a broken arm or collar bone or something that a band-aid and a hug from Mom couldn't fix.

We made it to his second birthday and I felt really good about it. I thought, well, that wasn't sooo hard, maybe we'll get to three without an emergency room trip too.

I thought wrong. Friday it happened. I was preparing lunch for a couple friends and just as I was finishing everything up, Jonathan started to cry in the living room. I started to tell him to toughen up because he and Hannah had been at each other all morning. He turned the corner into the kitchen and all I saw was the blood streaming down his face. I took him into the bathroom so I could see where the bleeding was coming from and try to figure out just how serious it was. He fell into the hinge on our TV stand and had a 3/4 inch vertical cut above and centered between his left eye and his nose.


I quickly got my things together, made a few calls to Hyrum and the pediatrician, and waited for one of the friends to arrive for lunch. She arrived just as I finished mixing the kids' Mac'n'Cheese. I handed her my key, said lunch was ready, enjoy and please can you take Hannah with you when you're done. Like the wonderful friend she is she said yes and we left.

Jonathan was such a trooper. You wouldn't even have know anything was wrong after that initial shock. I think he was more concerned about the blood dripping in his eyes than any real pain from the cut. We went to an emergency room alternative place and were able to get in and see the doctor pretty quick. They numbed him up gave him a little sedative, we ate some lunch checked on Hannah and then he got six stitches. He didn't even flinch. I was so proud of my little man. When they finished he happily sat up and exclaimed, "All done."

He'll get his stitched out on Thursday and hopefully we won't have to do this again for a while. Somehow though, I think that might be misplaced hope.

3 comments:

Halley said...

Ugh, we know how you feel. Levi was the same, no major catastrophes and then a few weeks after his 2nd birthday, he tripped and fell and split his eyebrow open on a table. Same eyebrow and everything. Stitches with a 2 year old is probably one of the worst things ever. I feel for ya.

Melissa said...

Yikes! I hope he is okay!

Editt said...

I still find it amazing and amusing that you still whipped up lunch for us while you were waiting. I love you! You are so awesome. You deserve the amazing mom/friend award. "Yeah I fixed up an amazing lunch for my friends and fed them while I went to the emergency room with my boy who needed stitches." Next lunch is on me and hopefully we can do it without any stitches on my end.