Sunday, April 3, 2011

Camping Trip

We went on our annual camping trip. (Annual in the sense that we go camping about once a year.) The early spring and late fall are the best places to go camping around here because it is so hot in the summer. We camped at Buescher State Park and it was really pretty. We were almost the only ones there. It was funny because we found out the other group was a bunch of LDS homeschooling families from the Houston area. Come to find out we even knew one of the families as they had lived here when we moved in five years ago. Pretty crazy.

We bought fire wood and s'more supplies, along with all our other camping gear and headed out Monday just after lunch. We all slept on the way out except our trusty driver, Hyrum. We set up camp and went to play on the playground at the park. It was a beautiful day, if a little on the cool side, it was still perfect weather for camping. At this point, the only down side was that we couldn't use our fire wood due to a burn ban. For me, camping isn't camping without a camp fire so I was a little disappointed. It was a good thing we brought enough charcoal though so we were still able to enjoy s'mores, and enjoy them we did.

Tuesday morning I woke up early and definitely not bright. I had to take Hannah to the bathroom and felt a slight mist in the air. I was still optimistic it would burn off and we would have a lovely day. Well the mist got a little heavier and soon we had very large rain drops. It wasn't pouring or raining very hard but it rained for a few hours so things got wet. It let up late morning and the kids and Hyrum went for walks while I cleaned up breakfast and waited for Charlotte to wake up from her nap.

We went back to the playground and then ate lunch and mid-afternoon we went for a little walk. It was a little gray still but I hoped we had seen the last of the rain. As we started coals for roasting hot dogs It started to rain again. The only other people there had decided to rent the shelter to keep warm and dry. (You burn fire wood there) They invited us to join them so after eating dinner and cleaning up we went over there. It was nice and warm and because of chimneys, we didn't smell too much like smoke afterwards. We had a bit of excitement that required a shower for Hannah but we made it through the day without too much trouble and a little fun to boot. Everybody slept great that night too.

The next morning was freezing. The wind had blown all night and moved the front through leaving a lot of cold air around. I was grateful that the shelter was still rented and fire was still burning. I made breakfast and we headed over there to enjoy it while the morning warmed up. Hyrum had a couple of call for work that morning but we broke up camp around 11, headed to the playground for last time. We ate lunch there and headed home. We dragged our tired, dirty selves into our apartment about 3 pm on Wednesday afternoon. As quickly as we could we got things cleaned up and by the time everyone went to bed that night I really only had laundry left to do.

It was a good trip. It was nice to be able to spend time together as a family and watch Hyrum with the kids. He was a good help with them while we were camping. I look forward to next time and hopefully rain won't be in the forecast.

1 comment:

Petertammenson said...

Jonathan is turning into such an adorable little boy! There's no baby left in that cute face!