Tuesday, October 11, 2011

What I've been working on

[Caution: this is something of a technical post.  Feel free to ignore it if wish.]

For the last several years I've been working on the development of Apache Subversion, a version control system tool primarily intended for use in developing software.  While it isn't the only such system out there, Subversion manages to strike a balance between power and usability which works for many people, even those working on non-software projects.  I use it personally to manage source code, financial data, my personal journal and lots of other content.

Subversion also has the nice property of being open source software, meaning that anybody can look at and edit the source code.  In fact, that's how I first got involved in the project, as I started fixing bugs which concerned me a few years ago.  Since then, I've spent the past few year doing consulting or working for companies which provide Subversion services and products.  It's given me a lot of freedom to do interesting stuff, while continuing to pursue my PhD and other activities.

My primary Subversion-related work over the past couple of years has been working on the next release: Subversion 1.7.  It's been a long road, but I'm happy to announce that we've finally gotten there: Apache Subversion 1.7.0 was released earlier this week.  I'm sure there will be further improvements in the next few weeks as we find and fix bugs, but this is a big milestone for the project, and elicits a certain sense of professional and personal accomplishment.

So if you're into this kind of thing, feel free to download the new Subversion, give it a spin, and let me know what you think.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

1 comment:

jacob said...

I think I remember when you submitted your first subversion patch. I think, if I remember correctly, that it was for a spelling mistake, but at least it got your name in the changelog.