Sunday, February 28, 2016

Quiet Book


With our pending trip to Europe, I have realized that we won't be bringing a lot of toys with us and hope to come home without a lot of extra stuff.  I also recognize that sometimes kids just need something to do that doesn't involve walking around a city and quiet time with their hands so I decided it was time for me to make a quiet book.  Hyrum's mom is very good at making quiet books so I grilled her for information, tips and tricks.  I scoured Pinterest and the internet and I think I found a pretty good group of pages and made some up on my own.  I'm not completely done and I will add a post when I finish but this is what I've been doing a bit of this month.

The picture on the left was my mistake.  I am using fabric transfer sheets for any writing I want on the pages.  I'd printed a mirror image but I'd forgotten that each of the numbers were  individual boxes so when I flipped them for their mirror image they didn't flip across the clock face.  So I sewed another circle over it and put the flaps on that will cover the minutes. (You can kind of get the idea between the two.)  I have more printing to do so I'll wait until I'm all done and then add the rest of my words since they don't hold up well to the ironing and I'm doing a lot of that in making these pages.


Not pictured here are a jack 'o lantern page, Math, Blokus, and shapes.  I'm hoping to get a number page, patterns, colors and a few others.  I also made some marble mazes.  I'm hoping these will be light weight things that can keep my big kids and little kids occupied as we travel and days when we just need a break. 

I will put up a more in-depth post once I finish it.  I'm really excited about it though.  It's looking really good.


No comments: