Monday, August 11, 2008

"Train Up a Child . . . "

Proverbs 22: 6, "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

This scripture has taken on new meaning in the last couple of days. There is obvious spiritual context but I have come to appreciate a physical application. I've realized just how much I try to do this with Hannah on a regular and daily basis with something as simple as saying, "Please," or "Peeees" as it comes out of Hannah's mouth. It also includes letting her help me make dinner and washing dishes, even if it means pineapple juice or water everywhere.

Sometimes I question my ability to deal with such messes patiently but I have learned their value. So, tonight we repeated the process. As I watch and think about this new ritual, I have thought about the many "things" Hannah may become. I am happy to say that at least, provided things continue as they are now, she will grow up to be a responsible young woman, and one who will make a good wife and mother as she learns these little skills from me now. I'm grateful for my own mother's help in teaching me these same things. Besides, what better way for us to hang out and become better friends than by mixing up a batch of chocolate chip cookies.

So I will continue our forays into the world of domestic competence and someday maybe some one besides myself will clean the bathroom.

No comments: