Thursday, October 16, 2008

Subversion Developers' Summit

me in munichThis past week, we've been holding the 2nd Subversion Developers' Summit, colocated with SubConf 2008 in Munich, Germany. It has been a very productive several days. After wandering around Munich for several hours on Monday, the developers have spent the last three days working out issues with the current code, discussing problems about upcoming features, and just brainstorming more goodness for the Subversion user community. I've finally gotten to meet a number of other members of the developer community face-to-face.

Some highlights:

One of the coolest parts of the Summit for me was a off-hand conversation between Mike Pilato and I about how to fix some storage inefficiencies in our current FSFS backend. Over the course of the last few days, I've been hacking on the code, while Mike has been finishing up work on the fs-rep-sharing branch. Hopefully both improvements will make it into Subversion 1.6. The synergy of getting a bunch of developers in the same room has been amazing.

Developers

In some ways, it's pretty surreal to be at a conference dedicated to an open source project that I work on largely in my spare time. During the Subversion Roundtable held on the eve of the conference, we got some good feedback from current users, and people that are still waiting on features to do large-scale rollouts. All-in-all, it's good to see how people are actually using Subversion; I spent a lot of time focusing on minute details of the project, and taking a step back every once in a while is useful.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten the chance to see as much of Munich as I had originally planned, but I did get to see a few things during my wandering on Monday. Definitely a cool town, and one I'd like to visit again.

No comments: