Saturday, November 8, 2008

Allen 31, Wylie 28

It's been almost ten years since I graduated from "dear old Allen High," but yesterday, I had a chance to go back in time for a few minutes. My youngest brother is a drum major in the Allen Eagle Escadrille marching band, and a senior this year, so we decided to take in a game and a halftime show. Heather and I packed up the letter jacket, loaded up the kids and made the 4-hour trek up to Allen for the final home game of the season.

It's the first high school football game I've been to since being in high school myself, and I'd almost forgotten what high school football in Texas is like. The football wasn't particularly stellar, but the environment can't be beat. Even the little kids enjoyed it, though I think they were ready to leave after we saw the band at half-time. Seeing the 500+ member marching band perform was amazing. It was also a new experience, since I've always been in the band, not watching it.

Allen ended up winning the game by 3 points, and will mostly likely go the playoffs, though based upon what I saw last night, I'm not very confident in their chances. Still, for a few hours, it was good to be an Allen Eagle again.

No comments: