Monday, January 26, 2009

Website o' the week

After spending the past few years saving receipts and using the spreadsheet method of budgeting, Heather and I recently discovered mint.com. Mint.com is a place to collect financial information, such as savings and checking accounts, brokerage information and even credit card and other loan accounts. I was pleasantly surprised to see the plethora of institutions they support, even smaller regional ones. The site collects all your transactions into one place, and provides great budgeting tools and alerts.

Mint.com is read only, meaning that if something happens and our login information is compromised, criminals can't actually get to our funds. The best part: should you leave, they promise to remove all of your personal information from their system within 72 hours. I highly recommend mint.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've used Mint.com, but I eventually have stopped using it for a few reasons. It had a few problems: It doesn't support my bank's current system (contacted customer support months ago and it is still broken). It didn't support a "cash" account. It shows my paypal account as like 6 different accounts. It is always telling me that my paypal account got hit with a bank fee, when really I just withdrew some money.

A possible alternative that I have yet to try out is the free online version of quicken.

Anonymous said...

Hum...it sounds interesting. I will have to have Nate give it a look. We need something else besides the excel spreadsheet...but we don't want something too complicated. Thanks for the tip.