Sunday, April 24, 2011

Strawberry Picking


The day after I got back from Utah we drove as family to the strawberry patch. We had been planning on doing this for a couple weeks and it just kept getting moved. We finally fit it in and we were so glad we did. The picking wasn't great but the were decent and still on sale if you bought a lot. We certainly bought a lot. We picked 31.5 lbs of strawberries.


It was a perfect day. It got a little warm as the day wore on and we all came home a little pink. It was fun though. I am so glad Hyrum was able to join us. Hannah and Jonathan helped for about 30 minutes and then for the rest of the time made sandcastles and probably would have tried climbing the peach trees had I not stopped them. Charlotte spent most of the morning in the stroller and the last little while in Hyrum's arms.

We finished after picking for 3 hours and then enjoyed a picnic before the two hour drive home. Over the next few days we mashed, sugared, and jammed most of the berries. The best part was that everyone helped. Hyrum spent a bit of time helping my stir and measure in sugar and pour it in jars and wiped them clean for me. I love it when my family helps. We canned over 40 jars of jam and right now my freezer is bursting. We are so excited.

No comments: