Saturday, July 6, 2013

Oh Say, Can You See . . .

Our place settings for our 4th of July dinner.
The 4th of July, what a day!  I am so grateful for the opportunity we have to live in this country.  My sister-in-law said it best when she wrote about the great sacrifice of the people who fought and decided to seek independence.  I truly believe this country is blessed by God as we seek his will and work, by faith to maintain our freedoms.

That being said, I wanted to share a bit of our celebration.  We were going to have a party full of fireworks and tasty food, instead I think we did somethings that truly represents the idea of the American Dream.  We worked.  We ended up driving up to my parents to help them with some garden work they needed to get done.  We accomplished a lot between rain showers.

The men worked on the garden stockade to keep the deer out of the garden.  Over the course of two days, they dug 36 post holes and placed 40 posts in concrete.  My dad was putting up the fence today.  Mom and I weeded a bit and just tried to keep the munchkins happy.

We decorated stars and flags.
Yum!
My mom, Hannah and I have started a tradition of painting our toenails when we get together.  This time it was flags and red, white and blue.
A quick game of croquet after dinner, before we all fell over from exhaustion.
The rainbow after the downpour we had just as the guys were placing the last four posts on Friday.

Singing camp songs by the fire.  One of my favorite things to do. 
They had worked really hard.  They were good sports to hang out with us Friday night.
The kids enjoyed the glow sticks and s'mores.
I am so glad we could help my parents and spend time with them.  They are such hardworking people and never cease to teach me how to be a better person.  

1 comment:

katharine said...

wow, those toes look pretty intricate! fun tradition