Saturday, January 30, 2016

Confused? I am

I've not been very good about updating the blog but I am trying to get us up to date.  Unfortunately, I carry my phone more than my camera so I just discovered lot's of good thing to write about on my phone.  I'll try to appropriately date things in the future!! We'll get there someday.

Right now, I am working on getting the other kids' rooms painted.  I'm also trying to get a quiet book sewn and thinking about summer and fall logistics.  Life is never dull or slow around here.  I also have to develop Hannah, Jonathan and Charlotte's schooling for the Fall since it's a bit much for them to try and integrate into a German school for 4 months and the international school is outrageously expensive.  I can't believe I'm going to take a crack at homeschooling.  It should be fun though.  There is so much to drawn on in Germany and Europe.

Hyrum is working at Google and also teaching a class at Carnegie-Mellon Univeristy.  He has responsibilities with Scouting (church related and self imposed) and is serving on the High Council at church (assists the stake president, a leader of many congregations, in several ways, scouting being one of his assignments).  He is also flexing his handy-man muscles and just finished installing new outdoor lighting outside our garage.   We also get up early most mornings to exercise together.  It's kind of sad that we consider 6 am sleeping in.


Hannah is enjoying school.  She is in the orchestra at school and plays the violin.  I am still her piano instructor and she is progressing nicely.  She's a smart cookie and enjoys reading a bit too much.  She received a new bike for Christmas and has been happy about a mild winter so she can try out the gears and leave Jonathan in the dust.  She also a great helper with almost whatever I ask of her. 



Jonathan just lost another tooth this evening.  He is a really great kid.  He has voluntarily taken charge of helping Spencer get dressed in the morning, including changing his pull-up.  He is a little scatterbrained when it comes to things like getting out the door in the morning but I think it's because he is trying to think about and express way too many things.  That boys mind is going faster than his feet and they go pretty fast most of the time.  He too is working on piano and is struggling but works at it.  I am proud that as much as his dislikes it, he keeps working at it.  He is doing well at school and loves the social aspects of it.


Charlotte is the silent ring leader.  She is a big girl stuck in a little body and the middle of a big family.  We love her so much.  She loves her big brother and sister but it really her own person.  She is working on reading and does a great job when she wants to.  She isn't happy about going to Germany because she is really looking forward to starting school.  I told her we will have school for her but she is not impressed.  She and Spencer are buddies though and I often find them holding hands or with their arms around one another.


Spencer is just a funny guy.  He has so much character it's really great.  His speech has improved a lot and we just love talking to him.  He also loves to learn and is excited to learn how to read.  We're gearing up for another go at potty training.  (Waiting until he was older was not a good move.)   I'm optimistic this time we'll get it.  He is always good for a hug or a kiss and is my buddy.  I'll miss him when he heads off to school in a year and a half.


Ben has just started taking his first real steps, yesterday he had about 7 in a row.  He is babbling away and loves to talk to us.  Every time I pick him up he lays his head on my shoulder and just hugs me for a minutes.   He's always good for a smile.  We made our first ER trip with him this week.  He cut his finger pretty good and they glued him up.  It didn't much good though because despite my best efforts to keep his hand dry and out of his mouth I can't do a whole lot about nap time and bed time.

That's where we are these days.  Life is busy and hectic but it's good.  I am always ready for bedtime but, most days, I'm ready for the alarm to ring as well. 

No comments: