Saturday, January 30, 2016

Passport Photos?

In November, Hyrum spent a Sunday afternoon taking picture of the kids. Why?  They need passports.  One day in October, we decided it was time for an extended trip to Europe with our family.  We also decided that if we were ever going to do it, now was the time to make it happen.  We made preliminary arrangements with work to have Hyrum work out of the Google office in Munich, Germany, sent out some feelers for someone to live in our house while we're gone and notified our families that they could save their pennies and visit us in Germany.

Hyrum will be working in Munich for 4 months.  We'll rent a flat or something and live it up in Munich without a car and stuffing the seven of us in European accommodations.   We're also excited to spend some time with Hyrum's brother, his wife and brand new little one in London, as well as doing a bit of traveling through Western Europe.  There are still so many details to work out but we're excited for this adventure.  We have someone to rent our house and the kids have their passports so now we really only need a place to live in Munich and our tickets across the pond.


(Taking passport photos of an 11 month old is fun! I had to hold a white blanket up behind him)



My favorite!

2 comments:

European Blog Reader said...

Apologies if this is posting multiple times. I am struggling with the comment function.

Hi Heather,

I have been reading along for quite a while but never commented before. Let me start off by saying what a wonderful idea it is to spend a semester in Germany. Apart from this being a fun adventure, it will probably be highly beneficial for the kids. Now to my point:

Are you absolutely positive that you do not want to enroll your children in a German public school for the duration? Going through a similar experience somewhat later in my school career, I can say that being immersed in a foreign culture and language was one of the best things that ever happened to me.

I learned the new language at a speed and to a depth that would have been unthinkable in a "normal" environment. I made friends for life in this new country and so did my parents. I became part of this new cultural environment that helped shape me into who I am today. Finally, I believe that attending school in a different country gave me an edge when applying for college and grad school.

I appreciate that there are a number of concerns that every parent undoubtedly has. First, keeping kids at grade level and not wanting them to feel utterly lost and confused in a foreign school. Second, having less freedom to travel. However, I believe that there are ways to overcome these obstacles. For instance:

(a) Have you considered to partly skip summer holidays in order to home school your children before you leave for Germany? Teaching them the core curriculum of the semester you will miss in the US will probably ensure that their skills are at grade level when you return.

(b) Have you considered hiring a native tutor for your kids (starting immediately) in order to build up a basic level of German before you leave? Judging from own experience, having some grasp of the language builds up confidence in children and helps them to integrate from day one. Maybe I should also mention that from what I know about German schools is that they offer German As A Foreign Language for children newly integrating into the language environment.

(c) Lastly, a note on travel and holidays: Most German schools break for a week in October. Moreover, everything is very close together on the (European) continent. Between Friday lunchtime and Sunday night, you would be able to sneak in weekend trips within Germany, to Austria, Northern Italy, Switzerland and the Czech Republic. (The German rail network is impressive, btw.)

Whatever you end up doing, I am wishing you and your family a wonderful time in Munich. I am sure it will prove the adventure of a lifetime!

Heather said...

European Blog Reader, thanks for your comment. Those are great points and give us a few other things to consider.