Friday, September 30, 2016

Isn't it Ironic?

Twice in the past two days bus drivers have asked after our family.  Yesterday when Hyrum and Spencer went to have his cast removed, the driver asked where everyone else was.  Today when Hyrum got on the bus a different driver, asked about Spencer and his arm.  These experiences make me very grateful for our time here.  People have been so kind and I feel like we have begun to be a part of the community.  I feel as though we could make a home here if we ever chose to.

The irony comes that if we were actually living here, we wouldn't ride the bus and wouldn't have had these experiences.  This trip has forced me out of my comfort zone in so many ways.  we've had to rely on others for some of our basic needs.  I have a new perspective on life and how so many people live either by choice or necessity.  I fervently hope, when we get home, I can be kinder and be more understanding of those around me.

In many ways, this is why we travel.  This is why we wanted to expose our children to different ways of living and thinking.  I hope they will develop greater compassion and understanding of people.  I hope this trip will help them to be humble and grateful for the blessings in our lives.  I hope it does the same for me.

No comments: